Friday, July 10, 2015

Links on Friday



I'll be leading a Math Jam for eight days just before Fall semester starts, helping students prepare to succeed in Beginning Algebra. My eight topics:
  1. Number Sense
  2. Fractions
  3. Negatives
  4. Algebra
  5. Percents
  6. Graphing 
  7. Slopes
  8. Problem-Solving  

For fractions, I plan to do a bit with Egyptian Fractions. Here's a site that looks good for that. I looked at the Beast Academy site to see if they had anything good. I found 5 things I liked: one game and two puzzles using the area meaning of multiplication, one puzzle on ordering of decimals,  and one game like Taboo for communicating about shapes.

2 comments:

  1. The coin flipping puzzle was great. Listening to my kids discuss it gave me the idea to identify possible states, the different moves, and the potential outcomes of applying each move to each state.

    Also, try the puzzle with only 3 coins!

    Here are some other ideas for extensions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joshua! This is why I blog - I love connecting people with good ideas. Your post makes me realize that this has a different sort of solution than the puzzle it reminds me of. You might like that one too. It's #7 in this Pi Day Puzzle Party post.

    ReplyDelete

 
Math Blog Directory