Monday, June 1, 2015

Imbalance Abundance Puzzles (We're in the New York Times!!)

Paul Salomon posted some delightful puzzles a few years back, I got in touch with him about including them in the book, and now his puzzles are featured in the New york Times' Numberplay column!

I met Gary Antonick (who writes Numberplay) in person a month or two ago at a lovely meeting of math popularizers. We were both excited to meet each other*, and he asked if he could share some of the book's material in his column. Of course I said yes.

I knew the column was coming today, but forgot to look until I saw Mike South's Facebook post mentioning it. Mike writes great math explanations on Living Math Forum, but doesn't blog. I wanted to include something of his in the book, but didn't manage it. (Here's Mike on thinking about zero.)

Gary included a great photo that goes so well with the puzzles, I want to make up a new puzzle to go with it. Hmm.




If you don't already have your own copy of Playing with Math: Stories from Math Circles, Homeschoolers, and Passionate Teachers, you can buy one here.





_____________
*I finally got to meet the fabulous Fawn Nguyen in person, too! What an exciting day that was!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Math Blog Directory