Friday, September 24, 2010

Bit and Pieces

Julia asks why her proofs lesson died in the water. I wonder if anyone can help her.


I haven't seen Waiting for Superman yet. I think I'll have to, so I can argue effectively against it. Kirsten Olson, at Cooperative Catalyst, wrote a review of it that troubled me. The review I trust is by Deborah Meier at Bridging Differences. I think this movie is a powerful piece of propaganda that demonizes teachers' unions. Anyone know when it's supposed to open in the Bay Area? Anyone want to go see it with me?


Gary Davis (at his Republic of Math blog) has a long post on Richard Skemp’s Relational and Instrumental Understanding. When we talk about really understanding in math, some people think they do understand, when they've memorized something like A=LxW.  [Hat tip to John Cook at the Endeavor.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Math Blog Directory